Douglas H. Barker, Esq.
Doug Barker was a very active and highly successful civil litigator from 1980 to 2014, both as a shareholder at San Diego’s largest law firm, and, thereafter, as the managing partner of a full service civil litigation firm. As a trial lawyer, he represented both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide variety of cases.
In addition to his litigation practice, Mr. Barker has been extremely active as an arbitrator and mediator for over 30 years. Beginning in 1984, he was a frequent arbitrator of cases referred by the court under the California Rules of Court. During the late 1990s, he trained to become a mediator and commenced his highly successful mediation practice. With time, that mediation practice grew until it became his exclusive professional area of practice.
In addition to his background as a lawyer, arbitrator, and mediator, Mr. Barker possesses broad academic achievements and life experiences that enable him to understand and empathize with the parties and issues in mediation. He was Editor-in-Chief of the San Diego Law Review, a holder of a number of advance degrees, an officer in the United State Army, and a college and high school teacher and coach. He presented more than 125 seminars on litigation and ADR skills.
To date, Mr. Barker has served as mediator in over 2,000 cases.
- Half day – $2,500 flat rate: includes 1 hour of preparation (including brief review and pre-mediation Zoom test session) and 4 hours of mediation time; $500 per hour thereafter, in 1/2 hour increments.
- Full day – $5,000 flat rate: includes 2 hours of preparation (including brief review and pre-mediation Zoom test session) and 8 hours of mediation time; $500 per hour thereafter, in 1/2 hour increments.
- $300 non-refundable administrative fee per party
- $800/3 hours + $500 per hour thereafter.
- $500 per hour for brief review.
- There is a $150 per party administrative fee. $800 flat rate for up to three hours. $500 per hour thereafter.
- For all HOA mediations: please contact the WCRG Coordinator, Smhale Leon: firstname.lastname@example.org or 619-238-7282
LEGAL CAREER & PRIOR EXPERIENCE:
- Gray Cary Ware & Freidenrich (now DLA Piper), 1980 to 1994 — Shareholder
- Barker Olmsted & Barnier, 1994 to 2014 — Shareholder
- Mediator at NCRC and West Coast Resolution Group, 1999 to present
- Law School Professor, Thomas Jefferson School of Law
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
- B.A., University of California, Santa Barbara, 1969 (History)
- M.A., University of Missouri, 1970 (History)
- M.A., California Lutheran University, 1975 (Education)
- J.D., University of San Diego, 1980 (Cum laude)
ADR EXPERIENCE & SPECIALTIES:
Trained as a mediator at NCRC, Pepperdine University, and the American Bar Association.
- Commercial disputes — Partnership dissolutions, contract, dissolutions, professional (legal and medical) negligence, insurance, misappropriate of trade secrets, unfair competition
- Construction — Defect, contract, code compliance, lien enforcement
- Employment – Wage and hour, whistleblowing, retaliation, discrimination, disability, pay equity, misclassification, breach of contract, labor, harassment, free speech, misappropriation of trade secrets, statutory penalties, and PAGA
- Personal injury — Including product liability, wrongful death and medical/dental malpractice
- Real estate — Purchase/sale, landlord/tenant, contract (including failures to disclose), easements, environmental
- Claims against governmental entities
ACHIEVEMENTS & AWARDS:
- Editor-in-Chief, San Diego Law Review, 1980
- “AV” rating, Martindale-Hubbell, since 1989
- “Top 10 Attorneys in San Diego,” San Diego Magazine, 2005
- Master, American Inns of Court, Lopardo Chapter, 2011 to present
“My honest belief was that the mediation had little chance of resolving the case in the pre-litigation early stage. You proved me wrong.” – Statement from an attorney’s experience with Doug Barker.
HOBBIES & INTERESTS:
Former college football player and high school teacher/coach (football and baseball)
Youth sports coach since 1993
- “Serious About Settlement in Mediation?” The Adjuster (Publication of the San Diego Insurance Adjuster Association), April 2003
- “Settle or Not, Mediation is Well Worth the Time and Money to Both the Lawyer and the Client,” West Coast Resolution Group website (www.westcoastresolution.com), July 2010
- “An Effective Negotiation Strategy,” West Coast Resolution Group website (www.westcoastresolution.com) , July 2010
- “Why It Is in the Best Interests of Lawyers Always to Take Their Cases to Mediation,” West Coast Resolution Group website and newsletter (www.westcoastresolution.com), December 2011 through February 2012
- Listed at “Top Lawyer”, San Diego Magazine, 2015-Present
- Organizer and presenter in well over 100 presentations on various subjects related to litigation skills, and mediation and negotiation techniques.
If you would like to see a copy of Mr. Barker’s full CV please contact Kathy Purcell.