John M. Turner, Esq.
John has served as a mediator and arbitrator for hundreds of cases throughout San Diego County since 1985. His mediation practice is primarily focused on construction, business, and real estate disputes. He has practiced civil litigation and transactional law since 1977. As an attorney, John has a broad background in real property, construction, business transactions, purchase transactions and litigation, asset-based financing, corporate and LLC governance, and similar matters.
In addition to civil mediation, he has provided mediation services through the San Diego County Bar Association for attorney-client disputes and as a mediator for the bankruptcy court for the Southern District of California. John leverages his extensive experience in litigation and transactional matters with his tenacious and enthusiastic approach to resolving disputes. He quickly and efficiently identifies the heart of the dispute while maintaining a sense of empathy for all parties. John works successfully with sophisticated decision makers in the insurance industry and corporate executives, as well as individuals and families who have had little or no exposure to the legal system or mediation. He is pragmatic, results-driven, flexible, and stays in tune with the needs and interests of all.
Superior Court Ordered Civil Mediations:
- Civil Limited: $150 per hour for each of the first two hours and $495 per hour thereafter. Cases with three or more parties will be billed thereafter at the hourly rate of $550.
- Civil Unlimited: $250 per hour for each of the first two hours and $495 per hour thereafter. Cases with three or more parties will be billed thereafter at the hourly rate of $550.
- $495 per hour in session (full day, half day and three-quarters of a day available at proportionate rate; plus an additional preparation fee pre-mediation session, for two hours at $495 per hour); all divided equally between the parties
- $225 non-refundable per party administrative fee
- All cases with three or more parties will be billed at the hourly rate of $550.
AREAS OF EXPERTISE:
- Real property: Residential contract disputes, contract and specific performance matters, title and easement issues, boundary disputes, residential and commercial lease disputes, partition, and matters involving real property issues.
- Business Matters: Breach of contract, bad faith, partnership, shareholder, and corporate governance matters, dissolution and accounting issues, sales and purchases of businesses, and commercial transactional disputes.
- Finance: Real property and asset-based finance matters, foreclosure issues.
- Construction Matters: Homeowner-contractor disputes, contractor/subcontractor disputes, and owner/contractor disputes involving everything from residential and remodeling construction to large scale construction projects.
- Personal Disputes and Torts: Automobile accidents, personal injury claims, neighborhood disputes, and similar matters.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS:
- Member of the San Diego Superior Court Mediation Panel (2005 – present)
- Member of the State Bar of California (1978 – present)
- Member of the State Bar of Arizona (1977- present)
- Juris Doctorate, University of San Diego Law School (1977)
- B.A., Government, University of Arizona (1974)
LEGAL CAREER & EXPERIENCE:
- Member of the executive committee, and chairman of the real property, construction, and title insurance divisions of a medium sized firm.
- Founded and was a senior shareholder in Turner Law APC for more than thirty years.
- Extensive experience in all aspects of real property law including transactional matters, construction law, insolvency matters involving real estate, land use and real property development, real property finance, leasing, adjoining land owner issues, and similar matters.
- Extensive experience in business matters including shareholder disputes, asset and stock purchases, formation and governance of business entities.
- Broad experience in construction matters including disputes between owners, contractors, subcontractors, insureds, and consultants.
- Has attended more than 200 hours of advanced training in mediation and arbitration skills.
- Has testified or qualified as an expert witness in cases involving the standard of care of attorneys in business and real estate matters.
- Instructor in courses on foreclosure, escrow law, avoiding malpractice and mechanic’s liens.
“I have used John Turner as a mediator for a handful of cases, including real estate cases, business disputes, insurance cases, and landlord-tenant disputes. John has settled all of the cases I have submitted to him for mediation, even the ones where the parties were extremely far apart and emotionally invested in the outcome. John has a unique approach which is both evaluative and facilitative. John takes time to understand the merits of the dispute and uses that insight to facilitate a resolution. John is smart, experienced, and tenacious. If he can’t help settle your case, it is probably time to start putting together your trial exhibits.”
– DN (Veteran Business Litigator)
“John, as you know from my earlier email, we successfully conducted and concluded the closing
of the settlement agreement this afternoon. There is no doubt in my mind that we probably would have been unable to reach that milestone but for your skillful and persistent nudging the parties in the direction of consensus. To say that the mediation was a difficult undertaking would be a masterpiece of understatement. If this had originated from a Bankruptcy case, I would be pleased to nominate you for that Court’s Mediator of the Year Award. Suffice to say that we all recognize and very much appreciate your efforts and assistance in bringing this matter to a consensual and cost effective conclusion.”
– LK (Business and Bankruptcy Litigator)
“I wanted to express my great appreciation for your efforts and work as the mediator. I have
always received great reports on your mediation work from others, but as a result of our
relationship, haven’t had a chance to personally watch you in action.”
– GF (Longtime business and commercial litigator)
“I want to personally thank you for an excellent job. Should I come across parties that need
mediation, I will definitely recommend you. Before the mediation, I did not think it was possible to reach a deal. Now, I am glad we did.”
– AS (General Matters Litigation)
To schedule a mediation, please contact Kathy Purcell at 619-238-7282 or
firstname.lastname@example.org or email John at email@example.com.